206 East Main Street
Rock Hill City Directories and History: 1908 – T.W. Joyner – photographer, City Pressing Club, 1913 – Patterson’s 5, 10, & 25 Store, 206 1/2 – Palmetto Club, 1922 – Not listed, 1925 – Geo. Fink’s Dept. Store, Geo. Fink and Lena Fink, 1936 & 1938 – Elder’s Grocery
Additional information and history: The history of this section of East Main includes the area of Lot 9 and 30‘ of Lot 10 South. The January 21, 1859 issue of the Indian-Land Chronicle tells us that Dr. Robert C. Hanna, one of Rock Hill‘s first physicians, purchased Lot 9 South from A. T. Black on January 15, 1859. On February 25, 1860, Doctor Hanna sold the lot to Thomas E. Roddey, brother of Captain W. L. Roddey, for $400 ($269.44 paid on a note of Hanna held by Black and $130., accredited to Hanna‘s account with D. C. Roddey & Brother) . At some time between the initial purchase of this lot in 1859 and its conveyance to Roddey, Doctor Hanna had acquired about thirty feet, more or less, of the adjoining Lot 10 South. And it was the entire lot, running back all the way to Church (or Black) Street, a depth of 345‘, that Hanna conveyed to Roddey. On the same day that the transaction took place, A. T. Black signed a quit-claim deed to the premises, making good Roddey‘s title to the lot (135‘ x 345‘). The deed stated that this was a one acre tract of land. Thomas E. Roddey died on October 18, 1861, while in Confederate military service. The house and lot where T. E. Roddey and his wife had lived were sold on July 26, 1871, to W. W. Brice, who was nearly related to the widow, the conveyance being made by R. H. Glenn, sheriff of York County, S. C. Then, in that same year, Walter W. Brice sold the premises to Turner Barber, brother of Ferguson H. Barber, for $850. We should note here that the modest frame structure on this lot, used as a residence from time to time, was also used as a schoolhouse during the years from 1868 to 1888. Two early teachers who taught there were Mrs. C. A. Neill and Mrs. Margaret (Button) Marks.
The Turner Barber lot was sold on January 28, 1893, by Sheriff E. A. Crawford to Dr. Thomas Allison Crawford and his partner in the practice of medicine, Dr. W. Frank Strait, for $610.56. When Doctor Strait‘s health began to fail in 1897, he sold his half interest to Doctor Crawford for $850.60 From time to time after that, Doctor Crawford sold off portions of the lot. On December 4, 1918, he sold a lot 46‘ x 102 ½ to David Bee McFadden, for $9,000. On this lot D. B. McFadden built a large two-story brick home for an automobile agency. The structure, known as The McFadden Building, was used in later years by the Soil Conservation offices in Rock Hill. In December, 1939, the Bank of Greenwood, trustee, sold the building to Gilbert H. Greene of Rock Hill. Among the other businesses that were housed on the original Turner Barber lot were Bass Furniture Company and Funeral Directors, Huey Chevrolet Company, City Motor Company, Singer Sewing Machine Company, and the Hat and Bridal Shoppe. [Along the Land's Ford Road, Vol. I]
The Herald reported on Feb. 14, 1925 that the George Fink Dept. Store on Main Street will be moved to Salisbury, NC. On July 10, 1925 the Herald further reported that Fink’s Dept. Store was going out of business. They are located across from the Post Office.
The Herald reported on Oct. 4, 1925 that D.B. McFadden has returned from New York City and Newark, N.J. he is head of the City Motor Company and has taken over the agency for Chrysler Autos. He also handles Buick, Chevrolet, and Cadillac.
The Herald on July 22, 1955 contained an article on Tom W. Huey. It stated that he had operated Huey Chevrolet since 1924. The article stated it was the oldest Chevrolet and Buick dealership in the Carolinas. He was active in civic affairs, including serving as the Pres. of the Rock Hill Chiefs and the Pres. of the Rock Hill Chiefs. Mr. Huey had moved to Rock Hill with his parents in 1896, he married Hazel Thompson of Richmond, Va., who also taught at Winthrop.
The Herald reported on July 11, 1919 that Judge Ernest Moore filed a temporary injunction against City Motor Company of Rock Hill restraining its manager, D. B. McFadden from using the new building on East Main street as an automobile display room and garage. A suit had been brought by Roddey Reid Garage Company. The building on Trade Street formally occupied by City Motor Company is now used as a garage.
The Herald reported on July 1, 1925 that Fink’s Dept. Store is having a closing sale, they are located opposite the post office on Main Street. The store has been in operation for eighteen months but is closing due to high rent.