229 East White Street
Rock Hill City Directories: 1908 – Rev. J.K. Coit and Ruby Coit, pastor of White’s Memorial and pastor of Jennings Chapel Presbyterian Churches, J.W. Marshall, manager Standard Oil Company, 1913- Rev. F.W. Gregg, pastor First Presbyterian Church, 1920 – H.H. and Jennie White, Miller and White, Willis and Mary McFadden, bookkeeper, 1922- H.H. and Jennie White, Miller and White, 1925- G.P. and Mamie Smith, salesman for Massey Paint Company, 1936-1938- Mrs. Cora Strait (widow of S.G. Strait).1946- Fouche Furniture Company, 1959-1968- T. E. Jones & Sons Furniture, 1975- Rhodes Furniture Inc.,
Mary White, the daughter of Ann and George White, now living at the White Home contracted for the second manse to be constructed at 229 East White St., Rock Hill, SC for the Rev. J.K Coit who was the minster at the White’s Chapel church on Wilson Street. The church originally was located on Wilson Street behind the Rock Hill Cotton Factory. The location of the manse as well as the ARP Church have been reported as the location of the White Family’s orchards.
White family documents show extensive materials being purchased by Mary White via R.T. Fewell and Co., Mitchell Lumber Co., William Bates (brick contractor), and through W.M. Mitchell the contractor for the house and most likely the White’s Memorial Chapel.
The Herald reported on Sept. 2, 1891 that Miss Mary White contracted with Wm. Mitchell to erect a manse on the vacant lot on White Street opposite the residence of Mrs. J. C. Witherspoon, and work was commenced yesterday. It will be a two-story house with 8 rooms.