258 East White Street
HISTORIC WHITE HOME
The White Home, a National Register property, was constructed by George Pendleton White and his new wife Ann Hutchison White. They purchased the property from James Black, the brother of Alexander Templeton Black, Rock Hill’s founder. By 1839 the White’s were building a new farm house next to the original dwelling in-which they had lived as newlyweds. As early as 1841, George was purchasing a tan-yellow paint for the exterior of the finished home. Following George’s death in the late 1840′s, Ann subdivided and added on to their home. In doing so, she was able to provide income for her family by renting our rooms. One of her best known boarders was Fredrick Nims, the chief builder of the railroad trestle over the Catawba River. Other renters included members of the Steele family.
By 1859, Ann had inherited a great deal of money from her brother, Hiram Hutchison, a South Carolina banker and New York entrepreneur and financier. With her new wealth, Ann hired her nephew, Hugh White Campbell to upgrade the front of her home by adding a new roof, double porches and a second floor to the original dwelling. The White Home took on its current appearance as a result.
Rock Hill City Directories: 1908 – Ms. Mary White, 1920- B.J. White attorney wtih Spencer, Spencer, and White law firm, 1922- Miss Mary White and 1922-23 – Mrs. Hattie I. White, widow of A. H. White , 1925- H.H. and Jennie White, Miller and White, 1936- Hiram H. White, 1938- Hiram and Jennie A. White, civil engineer, Hiram H. White Jr., student, 1946-Hiram and Jennie A. White, civil engineer, 1959- Andrew L White, 1963- William C White, Rebecca M White,[Land Surveyor, 1969- William C White, Rebecca M White,[Land Surveyor], 1975- William C White, Rebecca M White,[Land Surveyor],
For additional information on the White Home visit historicrockhill.com
The Herald reported on March 14, 1925 that the City Council voted to change the name of Clay Street to Charlotte Avenue, “Clay Street extends from the railway just beyond the overhead bridge to the intersection of White Street directly in front of the home of H. H. White.”